Sunday, February 19, 2012

My Drunken Bachelor Kitchen

Sunday, February 19th - Casa Brewer

No Mardi Gras celebrations in MK, no Cajun or Creole either.  
However, after just a short search I was able to procure the necessary ingredients for Hurricanes.
  • 2 ounces rum (anejo)
  • 1 ounce fresh orange juice
  • 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
  • 2 ounce passion fruit juice
  • 1 teaspoon of grenadine
Time for a spirited contest between Hurricane's and dinner....
SS Cocktail shaker, £0.50 at a car boot sale.


In deference to my brother, I picked up Anejo instead of light & dark rum.
In deference to diabetes I substituted passion fruit juice instead of syrup.  They're still awfully sweet.  I'll up the lemon juice on the next round.

Gumbo Ya-Ya (recipe halved)
  • 1 lb. Chicken pieces
  • 1 pound Andouille sausage, sliced into ¼ thick pieces
  • 2 quarts chicken stock
  • 1/2 pound fresh okra
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 ribs celery, chopped 
  • 1/2 Bell pepper chopped
  • 1/2 Onion chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon Filé powder
  • 2 bay leaf
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoons salt
Poach the chicken in stock with bay leaves.
After 2 hours searching at 4 stores I finally found okra.  At my local farmers market....  Lots of North Africans in my neck of the woods, need to remember that next time.

The holy trinity; peppers, onion and celery.  The Cajun version of mirepoix.

Saute the vegetables in olive oil until soft.
Remove the chicken and set stock aside.
Make a blonde roux with the oil and flour.  Add the reserved stock, sliced sausage and vegetables.
Bring to a simmer for an hour and a half.

Make yourself another cocktail!
Shit! I forgot the extra lemon juice.  No worries, I shall endevour to persevere!

Watch Turner Movie Classics and update your neglected blog while the Gumbo simmers.
"Our letters of transit?"

The Swan on the canal makes me think that spring is near.

see you in two more hours....

Two hours later, having returned from the pub. Fresh with new knowledge earned from Skittle Vodka, you will find everything developing nicely. 

Time to put on the rice.  Standard long-grain in this case will hold together under the Gumbo.  A generous dollop of butter keep everything from sticking together and adds enough flavor as not to dilute the stew.

You might find things need a little "wake-up".  Others may "put that shit on everything", but I think there's no substitute for the original.

A sliced up baguette with butter to cut some of the heat and we have dinner.

Enjoy your Mardi Gras and Paczki on Fat Tuesday!
I'll keep on keeping on, out here in the wilderness.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Since you aren't around to make Gumbo, maybe I'll give it a try!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend only 1 Hurricane an hour if you want to sty upright.

    ReplyDelete