Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Shuttleworth Collection

Richard Shuttleworth died in an airplane accident in 1940(?).  But not before spending some of his family's fortune on airplanes, cars and motorcycles.  The trust his mother started after his death has helped support the eventual expansion and acquisitions you see now.

Who wants to go outside and play?

The museum's Hawker Hurricane undergoing winter maintenance.

A later model Spitfire in the process of restoration. (7 years down, 7 to go).

The Sopwith Camel (Snoopy flew these in the "war").

Sopwith Tri-plane.

Hawker Tomtit.  Someone spends a lot of time polishing aluminum here.  I ran in to him later, easily identifiable by the blackened finger tips.

This is really cool!  This is the log book of Neil Williams who in 1976 experienced a catastrophic failure of the lower wing spar in his Zlin aerobatic aircraft.  To prevent the wing from folding in flight he rolled inverted and flew a normal landing pattern, rolling back upright just before landing.  This story is legendary in airplane geek circles and here's his log book.  I know that the picture's not clear but the log entry matter of factly states that the spare failed and he flew his pattern inverted until just before touchdown.

On the left and early single stage Rolls-Royce Merlin.  On the right a Griffon.  Both engines have been used in P-51's and Spitfires but I've never appreciated the size difference (that's what she said) until I saw then side by side.

The oldest flying airplane in the world, the Bleriot.  Same plane that made the first English Channel crossing.

One of my favorite planes, ever.  The Dehavilland Chipmunk.  I got hooked on aerobatics when I saw Art Scholl fly one at the Detroit City airport airshow.

Lots of sore, blackened fingers.... (I forgot the name of this one...)

Westland Lysander is kinda cool with it's big gull wing and wheel pants.

Maybe the most beautiful airplane ever.  The Dehavilland DH-88 Comet.

Ever see "those Magnificent Men And Their Flying Machines"?  I have, a lot.  The Shuttleworth Collection worked on the movie and later purchased this AVRO replica after filming.  Some of the other planes are at the Rhinebeck Aerodrome in New York.  between the two I think I've seen most of the planes from that film in person.

Norton!  With the side hack on the wrong side!

Ryan PT-22 Recruit.  Such a pretty airplane but the pilot reports claim that it doesn't fly as well as it looks.  Disappointing but it was designed to graduate airmen into (longer) better, faster (stronger), more difficult and dangerous planes.  'cause I can't wait much longer...

A weird "Sunbeam" S8.  Made by BSA, in BSA's factory, "modeled" on (stolen from) a "German" (BMW) design.   Pretty cool none the less.

The veritable field of dreams.

Cool shit.

The guy with the blackened fingers...

10 comments:

  1. So let me get this straight. Some rich dolt bought a bunch of stuff, died and left money aside to buy more stuff in his name? Nice....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the clarification. I only wish to do at least half of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not that I don't appreciate your love of airplanes and motorcycles but the pictures of food & beer are what really give me a boner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who's Christine? She's my kind of gal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine is my buddy's wife (and my wife's buddy) but i think that was him posting under her account.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris & ChristineJanuary 21, 2011 at 1:54 PM

    To clear the air that was Chris posting. None of Gena's girlfriends get boner's from pictures of beer & food, at least that I know of. I changed the account to include my name as well to prevent further misunderstandings. And by the way I no longer can my own salsa thank you very much. But I'm sure you will find other reasons to bring up that I'm gay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome. Glad we got that all cleared up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know how I know you're gay? You have a rainbow bumper sticker on your car that says, "I love it when balls are in my face."

    ReplyDelete